Saturday 31 March 2007

And on the seventh day God rested - Yeah right!


Off duty. A chance to relax, or so I thought! Then Gina sat me down to watch Al Gore's lecture, An Inconvenient Truth. It disturbed me, not because of anything It said but because I'd learned along time ago that it's not the things I know I don't know that get me into trouble, but the things I don't know that I don't know.
One of he things I didn't know I didn't know was the serious effects that Global Warming is having on our climate till we visited southern Nepal last September and were horrified at the extent of the flooding we saw there and in northern India. Oh, it made world headlines, for a day or two, but the story vanished from public view much more quickly, it would seem, that the devastating effects of the flood waters. We had come to Nepal following an overland journey from Asia minor which took us through Uzbekistan. A tragic country where man's clumbsy intervention in nature through weapons testing, industrial projects and fertilizer runoffs both before and after the collapse of the Soviet Union, had all but dried up what was the worlds 4th largest inland lake, the Aral Sea.

The other thing I didn't know that I didn't know, and this was never explicitly suggested in the lecture, was that the Gore/Bush battle for the Whitehouse in 2000 was a battle of such apocalyptic proportions. The battle of the oil barons vs greens campaigner. I wonder how the Oil Barrons won?

Some day off, my head is spinning. Oh for a simple mind numbing day with the baby again. Roll on Monday.

No comments: