Monday 26 March 2007

At the bay


I arrived a few minutes early just to renewed my long standing acquaintance with The Bay. Where once small wooden houses and beach front stores lined the street, cafe's tumbled out onto the pavement and casually clad patrons enjoyed the summer sun and the Marlborough Riesling. Even though Catherine Mansfield would have scarcely recognised the social landscape of Days Bay, the soft curve of the 'Crescent Bay', the bush clad hills behind it and the sparkle of sunlight on the water were unmistakable. I breathed in the warm salt air, crossed the road to van Halgan's studios for a suitable birthday gift, then walked the few meters to the corner to meet friends for lunch at the Cobar. It was Robyn's 55th birthday. Her first since her husband Timmy died suddenly last June and we all wanted to share it with her, here in this special spot. And so we did!
As you will have gathered (from my loquacious pros) it was once again a 'cracker day'. No cloud, no wind and not too hot either: I notice things like that at my age. I was pleased too with the gift I chose. A small ceramic Koru. A nice symbol of hope for someone stepping out into a new life and a especially fitting reminder of Tim's Maori heritage.

Fine wine, good food and warm friendships and a day at the bay, An unbeatable combination.

No comments: