Wednesday 28 March 2007

Because I'm special


Just like the Grandfather in the Werthers Originals add, today I introduced my grand daughter to a slice of my past. Something I remember, made me feel special as a child. Rusks! However, unlike the Grandfather in the add, I wasn't moves by generosity, love and a sweet tooth, but rather by the fact that Su-jin has begun teething! It's another change to take into the daily mix and naturally, she loves them and I imagine they are now a regular part of her diet. At least for the next few years.

During our afternoon walk I cut through the boulevard of mature trees (not sure what kind but they're big old and leafy) that line the boundary of the Hutt Recreation grounds and stopped to watch a group of secondary school children enjoying their annual sports day. The event that caught my eye was the 20 aside 'Tug of War'. It was a very serious moment. the supervising teacher tied the traditional hankie n the middle of the rope, positioned the teams and said,'take the strain.' Both teams repositioned their footing, leaned back to take the strain on the rope, then SNAP! The rope broke and all 40 aspiring athletes fell to a tangled mess of legs, arms and uncontrollable giggling and laughing. I'm sure they will all remember the occasion as much as Su-jin will remember her first Rusk.

No comments: