Wednesday 11 April 2007

Working from home


One of the things I like best about working from home is the casual dress code and relaxed work ethic. So today, like most days, I arrived at work at 7am, unshaven and in my dressing gown, collected my work assignment, (baby) and returned to my office, the bed! Nappies, bottle, winding and stories were dispatched from our breakfast meeting agenda over next next hour or two along with; making my own breakfast, showering, tidying up, putting out the garbage, putting on my clown suit (to keep baby amused), phoning doctor, chasing neighbors cat away from scratching in the garden, and putting off any un necessary activity that may divert my attention from the fact that she might; eat the flowers, pull over the standing lamp or throw up on the Persian rug! Of course, all this would be so much simpler if we shared a common language and I didn't have to present several individually viable alternatives to each of babies frustrated shouts for attention or eye rolling goo and gurgle that, by it's intonation, implies a question to which I should know the answer.

The above then becomes a recurring module, which (apart from brief sleep times) replays itself, with minor variations, till my relief (mother) returns to takeover at 5.00pm. Then with shaking hand and pronounced twitch in the left eye, I pass baby back.

How come you're still in your dressing gown dad?

No comments: