Thursday 5 April 2007

And not a safety pin in sight!


I'm sure babies haven't changed that much in the last 40 years or so, but the procedures and practices surrounding their daily care certainly have. And the vast array of accessories one needs these days just to operate one. Once upon a time you just piled baby in the back seat of the Ute along with everything else, and headed off into the great blue NZ yonder. Well, at least that's my memory of it all - but as I have said earlier, I'm new to all this.
So there I was this morning heading off to the doctor with one small baby and more gear than I took to Everest Base Camp, or on Safari in deepest (darkest) Africa. We could have survived out there on the plains of the Hutt Valley for a month or more had we got lost. Then half way to the surgery it struck me - did I have and safety pins, how on earth would i cope with a nappy change?

Oh, yes - babies don't require pins these days, do they. Well, at least I learned something today.

No comments: