Monday 19 May 2008

Whatever happened to the good old days?


It was dark as I rose at 6:30 for the arrival of my young granddaughter.

"Whatever happened to the good old days, I thought, when you only worked 9-5, retired at 60 and got a pension?' When interest on your housing loan was fixed for the length of the mortgage and education was free?

This was the social landscape my generation inherited and almost as instantly, shattered. The sheer volume of post war births meant there were more of us than them and we strained housing resources, overflowed kindergarten facilities, shot classroom sizes from below 20 to over 40, created the first teenage generation, introduced the world to Rock & Roll and took over the workplace.

And we continued to strain the resources of every emerging phase of our lives till at last we've exhausted pension funds and now threaten to overwhelm morticians as we begin to shuffle off, stage right.

So I asked myself, whatever happened to the good old days?

And then it hit me - whose been in control of world government, economics and trade for the past 25 years? Oh yes, it was us, the BOOMERS - architects of our eventual demise.

I yawned, scratched, stepped out of bed and into the darkness and commenced my 12 hour child minder shift.

No comments: