Sunday 27 May 2007

Soulmates


I met William a couple of weeks ago. I don't know much about him, just a man at church, but I instantly liked him. He's about my own age and, like me, has just returned to NZ after a number of years absence. Like me he has been involved, during his time away, in international aid work, something or other in Bangladesh, for the World Bank for a couple of years, and has lived the rest of the time in the UK.

We met again today after church and the conversation went something like this;

Me: So, how long since you arrived back William?
William: Only a month, but I'm finding it harder to settler back than I thought I would.
Me: Do you feel guilty about that? as if you should just slip back into the space you left 5 years ago?
William: Actually, that's exactly how I do feel, guilty. But worse, i find my self not wanting to pick up where I left off and fighting against being enculturalised, kiwi-ised again.
Me: Would you go back again, if you could?
William: In a flash only it would be financial suicide. I'm too old to make up the financial ground I'd need to in order to live as well there, as I can here. The value of the NZ dollar you know.

Snap! I knew just how he felt, and it was good to know that someone else understood. That I wasn't abnormal, unpatriotic or a try-hard winging Pom. Just no longer the person I was seven years ago. And that's OK!

So I can sit here, sip my Tetley's and watch my Podcast of BBC Breakfast and the 10 O'clock News and feel perfectly normal!

No comments: