Monday 31 December 2007

The True Gift of Christmas


Burr,burrr. . . . burr, burr . . .

It's 4am and I stagger sleepily toward the ringing phone. Who on earth could it be at this hour I wonder?

Hello? I inquire.

Xhoni? (John?)

est Belga! (It's Bella)
Mere Menges, (Good Morning) and


Gezuar Krishtlindje!
(Merry Christmas)


It was our Albanian friend Bella ringing to wish us a Merry Christmas. I was wide awake now. It had been nearly four years since we had last seen her, but in those few waking seconds since I answered the phone the years between us had dissolved, The past had catapulted into the present and the miles that divided us erased.

It was as though we had never been separated.

Then it hit me, That's what Christmas is really about! It's about God eliminating the barriers.

Making all things just as they were when Man and God walked together in the garden. Catapulting the past into the present and erasing the miles that divided us.

That's the real gift of Christmas.

1 comment:

Miss Froy said...

Hi John and Anthea...thanks for your comment on my blog which has nicely led me to yours! I love how blogging makes the world such a small place.
It's increasing hard to find anything spiritual about Christmas here in the UK, I met a teenager a month ago who though Father Christmas was part of the nativity story...my happiest memories of this time of year are coincidently from a period when money was at it's most scarce for my family and all of our presents were hand made.
Wow, I really sound like my mum now!